Social security during a stay abroad

As a binational couple or binational family, you generally have family connections to at least two countries. If you wish to emigrate in a country outside the EU/EFTA, it is important to include social insurance considerations in your emigration plans. Unforeseen circumstances, such as health problems or political instability in the other country may mean that you (have to) reverse the decision to emigrate. 
When living in a country outside the EU/EFTA, you can continue to pay your AHV contributions on a voluntary basis. This applies to Swiss citizens and citizens of an EU country who have been insured with the AHV/IV for at least five years.
Before emigrating, obtain information about social insurance and seek advice. The book "Ratgeber für Auslandschweizer" (Guidebook for Swiss nationals living abroad) provides extremely detailed information.