Work permits after marriage/Registration

Persons from the EU an the EFTA are subject to the agreement on the free movement of persons and receive a five-year residence permit (B-EU). Partners from third countries (that is from outside of the EU and the EFTA) receive a B residence permit after marrying a Swiss citizen. Both residence permits provide the right to be gainfully employed (self-employed or as an employee) in all of Switzerland without a permit process.

Because marriage was the reason the residence permit was granted, foreign spouses are treated as native workers on the employment market and are not subject to any quotas.