Work permits prior to marriage, Registration of a partnership

Due to the agreement on the free movement of persons, citizens of EU/EFTA countries (except Bulgaria and Romania) enjoy full freedom of movement. Therefore, persons from these countries no longer need a work permit.
Citizens of an EU/EFTA country may enter Switzerland in search of employment and must only report to the residents’ registration office of their municipality of residence within eight days. The residents’ registration office will forward the data to the immigration office, which will then issue a short-term residence permit for six months that bears the annotation “Seeking Employment.” If any employment agreement is made, the entrant must once again report to the residents’ registration office. A new residence permit will then replace the prior one. If the entrant fails to find a position within this six-month period, the short-term residence permit may be extended by another six months.