Separation and divorce

In Switzerland, family affairs such as marriage, parenthood and divorce are regulated by the Swiss Code of Civil Law (ZGB, art. 90-251). 
In the case of the dissolution of a binational marriage, the question arises whether Swiss law or the appropriate foreign law applies. If your ordinary residence is in Switzerland, you can initiate legal separation or divorce in Switzerland.

If a divorce process is pending before a court abroad, a Swiss court cannot take on the same case and vice versa.

If you live abroad and would like the separation or divorce to be regulated by a Swiss court, you need to move your ordinary residence back to Switzerland.
Swiss courts are not responsible for the recognition of a separation or divorce abroad. Please contact the responsible foreign consulate or the appropriate office for this purpose.
Switzerland recognises foreign separation and divorce decrees provided they do not infringe on fundamental principles of Swiss law.