Permit C (settlement)

After being married for five years, foreign spouses with a B permit are issued with a C permit. This permit entitles them to temporally unlimited residence in Switzerland for an indefinite period (art 34 AuG). For control puposes, however, this permit is normally issued for a period of five years (art 41 para. 3 AuG). An intact marriage is a prerequisite. In the case of divorce/separation shortly after receiving the permanent residence permit, it may in some cases be withdrawn again.