Social security benefits in the case of divorce/dissolution of registered partnership

On 01.01.2000, a law came into force stating that pension fund assets accumulated between marriage and divorce are to be divided . The law does not, however, allow the retroactive application of this right. This means that it only applies to divorces taking place in 2000 and later. It is obligatory that the assets be used for pension provisions. If one person emigrates or returns to a foreign country, the capital can be paid out.
The following should be noted for the AHV: contributions credited during the marriage and education credits for childcare are divided equally between the former spouses and credited to the individual accounts. This is known as AHV splitting. You can obtain application forms for splitting from any AHV Compensation Fund Office. The same applies for registered partnerships.